Saturday 21 December 2013

Film Magazines

I have started looking at and analysing film magazine covers, to give myself a better idea of how I should construct my own magazine cover. Last year in AS we researched, analysed, and created our own music magazines. This concept is similar, but this year the magazine cover should be in relation to our film trailers, and we will not be creating articles or contents pages. Film magazine covers do vary to music magazines, from what I have already researched, it seems that film magazines use a broader range of colours and styles, always in relation to the feature film which they are promoting in the issue. Whereas music magazines often had set colour schemes in relation to their genre, and the models poses were often very similar.
The most popular film magazines are "Empire" and "Total Film", which are successful both in print and digital form. Characters from the feature film of the issue are placed as the main image, and often the font in the cover lines or even masthead fit in with the chosen theme of the film, or reflect the colours which the character(s) are wearing. Sometimes multiple characters from the film are even featured on the cover, rather than just one.

I will use my research to understand the popular conventions used by film magazines, so that I can use them when constructing my own cover. 

No comments:

Post a Comment